Monday, February 2, 2009

Looking for work

So even thought I have been a temp most of my working life I have never been out of work for longer than 2 weeks…. Well expect when I have been traveling but that was by choice :-)

As I mentioned earlier I had taken a contract role last year, and when it ended on Nov 28 last year the world had suddenly changed… WTF???... shite now what I am going to do… Prior to the end of the contract my agency had done a ring around of all their staff on their books saying hold on to the roles you have cause there ain’t much coming in… well what was I suppose to do?? I had a specific end date…???

In Dec I interviewed for a few roles, a couple of Mat leave roles (well people still have babies even in times of Economic crisis – well those who were pg prior to the crisis anyway) and also a couple of Perm roles… well, I thought maybe I should try and get a perm role in these times of uncertainty... Well guess what – those couple of roles which I honestly felt I was front runner for decided as it was coming up to the holidays and the quiet time of Jan maybe they should hold off till the new year.. Well the New Year has come and gone and I haven’t heard peep from those companies… But then a new phenomenon occurred…

In my time I have heard of the odd ‘let’s interview a couple of temps to see who the right fit is…’ especially for a long term role or an ongoing role, but last week I experienced a new version …

Last week I interviewed for a 3 week holiday cover... I knew that I was going up against someone else, the agency had told me. Then next day they went with the other girl... fair enough I say – but why her (i.e. some feedback) ‘Oh, she said, because she had more experience than you’ MORE EXPERIENCE??? Well then why bother even interviewing me??? They knew from the beginning that I was on the back foot… why waste everyone’s time…. Grrrrr

But the next one takes the cake… a couple of days later I interviewed for another holiday cover. This time only 2 weeks, surely I thought this one’s in the bag – they are probably just meeting with me as a sort of meet and greet, formality sort of thing… I was in there for exactly 8 minutes… it takes me 45mins one way to travel into the city. But, no, not only did they give it to the other girl but they gave it to another girl from another agency…. So yes they interviewed 4, YES FOUR girls for a 2 week annual leave cover…

It is crazy out there…..

No comments:

Post a Comment